Welcome to Our Church

LOVING GOD & LOVING OTHERS

HISTORY

Believing in God’s Word and Spirit

The Church of Christ in Summertown, Tennessee began as a religious body sometime in the years 1886 to 1891. It was first known as the Christian Church. The early meetings of the Church were held in the homes of the members. As the membership grew, plans were made for the group to use Crane Hall for a regular meeting place until land and a permanent meeting place could be purchased. One of the ministers to serve the congregation in Crane Hall was Jasper W. Dunn. He was one of the first preachers to hold a gospel meeting in their new building. Dr. Henry A. Campbell obtained the services of this outstanding preacher for a two-week meeting.

On December 23, 1904 J. J. and Alice Crane donated land for the first Christian Church building. The propertied was deeded to the Summertown Church of Christ. The group has been identified by this name since that time. The Church still worships on this property today. The trustees serving the congregation as leaders were Noah Nafe, John Cox, and William Caldwell. Along with these trustees, Bettie Romine Cox made a loan for $200 from the American Christian Missionary Society on June 1, 1906 to help with their building.

The Church met for the first time in its new building on July 1, 1906 for Sunday School and Worship. The construction of this beautiful white building took at least two years. There was much material and labor donated by the membership and other interested individuals. Noah Nafe donated the church bell. Some of the membership throughout the early 1900s was Bettie Romine, Dr. Henry A. Campbell, Joe Parrish, Walter Ware, William B. Miller, H. H. Green, and Estelle Boles. Some of the early Sunday school teachers were Mr. and Mrs. T. E. McLean, Clifton McLean, and Nelle Green. The number present on this day was thirsty-six. This building served the Church well until 1951.

The early ministers who served the Church in their first building were Bob Stagge, Thomas C. King, Melvin Campbell, J. D. Harris, and Joe Clark. John Campbell also preached in the first building at Summertown. He is remembered for holding one of the first outstanding gospel meetings in these early years. The Church was so full that people were standing on the outside looking through the windows to hear the gospel being preached.

Estelle Boles was one of the early Sunday school teachers serving this congregation, and taught for several years. Ben Boles, her late husband, is a distant cousin to the late H. Leo Boles, an early pioneer preacher. Estelle remembered hearing him preach the gospel.

The Church grew rapidly in its early years, due to its unity. In 1907 it had increased to fifty-one meeting for worship on Sunday mornings. It has never suffered a division from the early innovation